Past Events


An exhibition of photographs taken in South East Asia by Humanitarian
Photographer Mark Pearson.

The exhibition runs from Saturday 21st May until Saturday 11th

10am - 4pm, Monday - Saturday.

On 26th December 2004, the largest natural disaster in modern times
hit South East Asia. The devastation caused by the Tsunami was beyond
belief and the kindness and generosity from the British Public was far
greater than could ever have been imagined.

Tristan’s gallery in Wadebridge Cornwall is to hold the first
exhibition of photographs taken in the aftermath of the Tsunami. The
photographs are taken solely by humanitarian photographer and shelter
box volunteer Mark Pearson. They are not only an outstanding documentary
of the area they are incredibly sympathetic and emotive reportage from
the people and places affected.

This exhibition is held in conjunction with Shelter box UK, who once
the exhibition has finished at Tristan’s Gallery will then tour
Mark’s work on a national and global scale.

Mark Pearson is a professional photographer who donates his time and
expertise to Shelter box. Working as a humanitarian photographer he is,
unlike the press, able to gain access to areas worldwide which the news
and media are not allowed to venture into. In the past Mark has worked
for a number of charities including, the Red Cross, United Nations, Oxfam,
Mercy Malaysia and Unicef. Due to the nature of his work Mark is often
one of the first representatives on the ground, and gets personally involved
in co-coordinating areas of the rescue and the distribution of shelter

This exhibition is a celebration of the positive work achieved by volunteers
and Shelter box. It is an opportunity for the people of Cornwall to preview
an international touring exhibition of the highest quality, and one which
Tristan’s Photographers Gallery is proud to curate.

Quote from Marks diary:

“Traveled to Sri Lanka to Tsunami affected areas on 28/12/04 using
transport provided by shelter box. I listened to reports from the tsunami
on the radio for four days. By the fourth day I had tickets arranged
for Sri Lanka from Shelter box and on New Years Eve I went completely alone
not knowing what to expect when I got there. I was in two minds whether
to go or not as the death tolls kept mounting.

I was worried all the way until it was daylight and finally I was driving
down the Galle road in Sri Lanka, just gob smacked by the destroyed
houses and people just milling around shell shocked by the destruction
caused by this almighty force. I stopped by Telwatta and walked over
to where the train was pushed off the tracks. The humidity, loss, bad
smell, oil and diesel. There were army body collectors, Buddhist monks
and the 2000 bodies that were still inside the cabs ”